In the following inaugural podcast(s) I’ll cover my injury, the day of ACL reconstruction surgery, and the first week following the procedure.
As I mentioned in my first post about this topic, there’s such a spectrum of information out there I wanted to give back to the greater Internet community for others who run across this in their own lives down the line.
In my experience, I came across—and continue to come across—a lot of very old posts (up to 15 years old). I love reading through old forums, but at some point I started to question how relatable they would be with current techniques or experiences.
Some stories rang true while others… not so much. YouTube has also been great for a few videos, but I’ll get into why YouTube is a trap in the episode one.
As this series comes together, the format will be a brief description, followed by any meaningful links or additional information, and the podcast itself.
To kick things off, here’s my beat up knee/leg after 1 week. Hard to believe! This is after the first dressing change and a visit to the surgeon. You can see the tibia bruising very well here.
These products have been helpful so far. Pro tip on the ice machine: get 2-4 small water bottles, freeze them, and use them as giant ice cubes instead of relying on refilling it with ice each time. Huge pain in the butt saver!
- Helpful products roundup: crutches (check sizing), knee ice machine, full knee wraps, leg lift/wedge
Below are a few bookmarks I made heading into surgery that helped me wrap my head around everything. They include a few helpful videos/tips:
- Complete Guide to Recovering From an ACL Tear – perhaps the most comprehensive post I came across that provides a high level take on everything
- ACL Reconstruction Rehabilitation – a helpful video series looking at rehab phases and what’s to come
- ACL Surgery Repair: What to Expect on the Day of Surgery – 1/2 YouTube video by Donovan Gow; helpful notes on the day of surgery
- ACL Surgery: Tips for an Awesome and Fast Recovery – 2/2 YouTube video by Donovan Gow; some good tips and thoughts after surgery
- Nina Elise Yoga ACL Recovery – A series of detailed posts that Nina kept up with through her entire process
Week 0 Notes:
- Injury story
- Pre-op exercising
- Day of surgery
Week 1 Notes:
- Week 1 review
- Having help, pain management, timers
- An uncommon but dreaded shin throb
- The YouTube trap
- Extension: 0
- Flexion: 60
- Sitting Pain: 2/10
- Standing Pain: 10/10 (shin bruising)