In the following inaugural podcast(s) I’ll cover my injury, the day of ACL reconstruction surgery, and the first week following the procedure.
As I mentioned in my first post about this topic, there’s such a spectrum of information out there I wanted to give back to the greater Internet community for others who run across this in their own lives down the line.
In my experience, I came across—and continue to come across—a lot of very old posts (up to 15 years old). I love reading through old forums, but at some point I started to question how relatable they would be with current techniques or experiences.
Some stories rang true while others… not so much. YouTube has also been great for a few videos, but I’ll get into why YouTube is a trap in the episode one.
As this series comes together, the format will be a brief description, followed by any meaningful links or additional information, and the podcast itself.
To kick things off, here’s my beat up knee/leg after 1 week. Hard to believe! This is after the first dressing change and a visit to the surgeon. You can see the tibia bruising very well here.
These products have been helpful so far. Pro tip on the ice machine: get 2-4 small water bottles, freeze them, and use them as giant ice cubes instead of relying on refilling it with ice each time. Huge pain in the butt saver!
Helpful products roundup:
- Crutches (be sure to check sizing)
- Knee ice machine (you might also want a knee-specific pad)
- Full knee ice wrap (really helpful; consider two to cycle in/out)
- Leg lift/wedge (more stable than pillows)
- Supplements (link to my guide)
Below are a few bookmarks I made heading into surgery that helped me wrap my head around everything. They include a few helpful videos/tips:
- Complete Guide to Recovering From an ACL Tear – perhaps the most comprehensive post I came across that provides a high level take on everything
- ACL Reconstruction Rehabilitation – a helpful video series looking at rehab phases and what’s to come
- ACL Surgery Repair: What to Expect on the Day of Surgery – 1/2 YouTube video by Donovan Gow; helpful notes on the day of surgery
- ACL Surgery: Tips for an Awesome and Fast Recovery – 2/2 YouTube video by Donovan Gow; some good tips and thoughts after surgery
- Nina Elise Yoga ACL Recovery – A series of detailed posts that Nina kept up with through her entire process
- r/ACL – Subreddit for other ACLR folks going through the recovery process
Week 0 Notes:
- Injury story
- Pre-op exercising
- Day of surgery
Week 1 Notes:
- Week 1 review
- Having help, pain management, timers
- An uncommon but dreaded shin throb
- The YouTube trap
- Extension: 0
- Flexion: 60
- Sitting Pain: 2/10
- Standing Pain: 10/10 (shin bruising)